Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Gus's Fried Chicken in Downtown Austin

The sign says "World Famous" and I had a long-time Austinite and Southerner tell me "People swear by it." It was pretty good chicken and the place had an authentic feel and a Austin chill vibe. It's a small one-story restaurant downtown among many tall buildings and skyscrapers. I don't understand how these places still exist amongst big office buildings and condos. A lot of places like Gus's seem to intentionally downplay the upkeep. They look way overdue for replacements and modernization. They must intentionally not do it and I guess people are suckers for it as authentic and a place for the working man. I bought it. And the chicken too. I bet its gone in 5 years, or hopefully just moved somewhere. The real rundown to the place was when Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick showed up. I wanted to yell something at the bastard but I didn't want to upset the other folks there who just want to get tasty chicken. I think everyone should feel comfortable at these kind of public places. Dan Patrick is still a real piece of work, though. I also went scootin for the first time down there. Fun and I totally get why folks do it.







No comments:

Post a Comment