Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Hotel Congress in Tucson

Years ago I lived in Tucson and visited the clubs in the Hotel Congress complex of bars. Now I stay in the hotel when I travel west. These pics show the inside and outside. The price of the room in these historic hotels is a little higher than the Hotel 6s of the world but it feels so much better staying there. A Hotel 6 and their ilk feel rundown even if they're recently built. There is run down in the surrounding area in central Tucson but the Hotel Congress has avoided becoming part of it. If more people wanted to stay in a historic hotel then there would be no room for me. Ironically I want these businesses to do well but I'm glad most people stay away. The room pics show a fascinating part of the building - the old and new cooling and heating systems. The small modern AC unit works well to cool the place but it looks so cheap and chincy compared to the old and authentic feel of the old systems but which were inferior in effect. For example that little window above the door would have been kept open so the swamp cooler could blow cool air into the room from the hallways. Not as cool as AC and its harder to avoid your neighbors loud voices and hacking coughs. Still I've seen the old system work just fine.
















No comments:

Post a Comment