Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Silos Near Downtown JC

Silos are all over rural America. I see these kinds of six- or twelve-packs more often in the South these days but I travel more there also. I'm not sure how old these are but its not infrequent to see them near RR tracks by the old downtown (and JC's old downtown is kind of visible to the left of the structures), although I see it more often in a smaller town than Johnson City, Tennessee. Maybe JC was much smaller when they were built. My friend told me they used to collect and mix ingredients for KFC and its secret ingredients on the site. You can see in the later pics that its being redeveloped. Apparently the city and local neighborhoods have recently considered various proposals to reuse the land. The final deal was remaking the main building into corporate offices. I saw the building before and it looked like the whole thing should get torn down. I guess the structure is better than it looked. I'm fascinated with that situation and want to know why they keep it or destroy it. And who knows what will happen to the old silos. I would tear them down because what could you do with them? Unless they are made into works of art. Paint them with murals or something interesting. But my friend said there are numerous options. This whole street is rundown in many places but there's also interesting sites. More to come. 








No comments:

Post a Comment