Thursday, July 18, 2019

York Street in LA and American Sprawl

LA is one of the biggest cities in the country and it is basically flat. The buildings are typically not high and people live in neighborhoods not too different than the one I live in South Austin. This is York Street in northeast LA. Austin is kinda flat too. Downtown Austin is getting denser, but so are most American cities like LA. I come from a small town  in Wisconsin and the small city of Madison so I tend to think Austin is big but LA is way more spread put than Austin. LA has a ton more neighborhoods with a lot more ethnic and cultural diversity. Still, neighborhoods all tend to look alike to me but with interesting differences. A mix of commercial spaces and homes in lots with a yard. I love the old look to many of the houses. I can't imagine cities like this can survive due to their dependence on autos and gasoline. It seems unsustainable but who knows what technologies might fuel the vehicles of the future. I hate driving a lot and I loved biking up and down these streets to get the pics. But I drove around so much I can see getting use to it so you can do all kinds interesting things there is to do in cities like LA. I would just need more money.                                          














No comments:

Post a Comment