Saturday, March 28, 2020

Public Housing Moves Along - I Wonder Where?

When i used to walk down to Artz Rib House there were public housing buildings along the street in a neighborhood of mostly middle class and increasingly upper middle class homes. The Zilker neighborhood in Austin is an awesome location. I live in an apartment right across from the local elementary school. I remember being the first in line to vote in 2004 against the war party candidates. My guy Nader lost if you didn't know. It was about five minutes on bike to Barton Springs Pool. It longer going back cuz he drive up Robert E. Lee road was steep uphill and always a bummer after the easy ride down there and the invigorating swim. And Zilker also a big park with tons of open space and right next to the river and the hike and bike trails. I wonder if the people in the public housing units took advantage of those spots like I did? But I don't wonder that anymore since those units are gone an in their place are what you see below. Way more money to be made off of the new housing. I wonder where those folks went. Maybe they have good alternatives elsewhere in the city. But I wonder if those locations gave them access to a really good school like Zilker and the park. I bike by another public housing park when I bike downtown and its in a pretty good location like the Zilker one. I wonder how long before thats also gone. I don't have pics here (yet!) of the old type of housing and I will try soon and talk about that. Not a fan of the public housing they had but displacing them for middle class people is not cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment