Monday, March 16, 2020

The Right Side of the Street

Lamar Boulevard has totally changed in the twenty year I've been here. These pics show the new condo developments there. Other posts will show the older stuff I knew when I moved there decades ago. I compare the architecture to the dense buildings of older European cities and its very different. These buildings are cold and angular and have most windows that look onto other buildings. I grew up in the country. I moved to the city and dense apartment like buildings for three years in Madison and I tolerated it because I was in a real city with interesting things happening and tons of different people to meet. And you could always walk down the street to the outdoors or people hanging out. But you always came back to that prison cell. This is the vision of the right way to organize a city? I would rather not live in that kind of city. I'll be gone before that comes to my neighborhood. Or the current crisis will turn into a real crisis and this fake Austin economy will crash down and these repellent condos will turn into ghost towns and homeless encampments and rat cities.









No comments:

Post a Comment