Sunday, March 29, 2020

Social Solidarity in a Pandemic

More people are out and about than usual, I think. During the coronavirus outbreak? Yes. Just folks hanging out in the yard or on bikes or walking. And they seem to be saying hi more than usual. I'm not sure. But I swear people are more likely to be friendly right now. Hard to say cuz most of the friendlies are old folks like my parents and young kids. The grandmars and grandpars were raised to be friendly. Young kids don't know how not to be. Life has not jaded them to be suspicious of fools like me on a bike. I have almost no contact with people I care about right now. I mean I have none. It might last for weeks or months. So I appreciate the folks who look at you and wave or say hi. To me this is a big deal. I wonder if we don't move forward politically cuz we don't really care about each other. And we don't cuz we don't need to in this complex amazing civilization that allows most of us only to really care about our own. Even liberals in Austin take each other for granted. But now we know its all or none. The pandemic reminded us we need to remember who we are and who is around us. And how we all need to care for each other and care about each other. That your health and well being is intimately connected to mine. Solidarity. I've heard stories about this phenomena in places of war. How did most of Europe get national health care and other social protections against a capricious economy and an unpredictable natural environment? After the crisis of World War II and the realization that you need to stick together. I pray we can do something like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment