Monday, December 23, 2019

Cabin in Estes Park

A camp counselor and teacher built this cabin. I'm not sure how much its a Abe Lincoln built or Thomas Jefferson built. Know what I mean? I think more Abe. He taught wood working and craft skills at a kids camp in the mountains nearby. This was home when he wasn't teaching or at the camp. That's a short time but its at the right time of year too. Summer time. You can tell the older sections from the new by sight. A bunch of space has been added over the decades and many beds. Theres two full bedrooms and bathrooms now, plus some bunk beds. My teacher friend Eddie who knows the family said people rent it out over the spring and summer. The first day I arrived there was a big party with dozens of folks. Some with their kids. Almost all people connected to the camp. Most of the beds were full that night. The guy who built it passed a few years ago and his presence sort of hung over the whole scene. Mostly though it felt like coming into a family reunion of folks I only just met. I didnt know them at all yet they made me feel at home. I know why Eddie goes back every year.
















No comments:

Post a Comment