Monday, December 9, 2019

Wrecked Homes and Neighbors

I saw this house on a bike ride around my neighborhood taking pics of old and new places. I was too scared to stop on my bike so I came back in the car. No gun, I just needed a quick get away if  someone came after me. You can see the glare from the window as you gaze into the broken glass and imagine the poor souls inside. When I biked by a woman was outside sitting on an upturned plastic pail smoking a cigarrette. Situations like this remind me of the good Samaritan parable. I always have resisted the literal interpretation of the story. It's not a good idea to stop and help everyone in need and there are better ways to be generous. But rethinking this situation gave me new insight into the parable. It pushes you to the limit of generosity and makes you think about where you are. Christians believe you should act like Jesus. But when you imitate him being provocative and him challenging self-righteous religious types it usually doesn't go well. Plenty of Christians also follow that lead and many have big hearts. Atheists often think religious people are delusional but I'd rather have religious people who care about families like the ones in this house than non-religious people who say they care but do almost nothing about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment