Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Historic Church in Denton

My Dad and I biked around Denton last summer and I wanted to take pics of the interesting places in the neighborhood that historically had been segregated. Black folks were forced to move across the railroad tracks which was mostly east of downtown way back in the 1920s. At the church we met some guys moving some stuff in and chatted. They invited us to Sunday service which was an anniversary of many years in the community. I'm not a church guy. But I definitely sensed the generosity of folks reaching out a hand to my Dad and I. This is one of several churches that moved a hundred years ago with the segregation orders. Read the historical marker for details. Stories of injustice like this one inspire me. Despite years of mistreatment, the church community has survived and thrived.







No comments:

Post a Comment