Friday, December 20, 2019

Korean Catholic Church

Do you see that ugly concrete bullet sticking into the sky adjacent to the church? Thats a water structure. The government water system has kept me from drinking water for days on end due to a lack of sanitation or foul smell from rotting marine life in the pipes.  And another thing, does the water tower have to look like its from a post-apocalyptic dystopia? When I was young I heard adults tell me that communists had terrible buildings with no character. So when I see this I might wonder if  I am in a communist society. I guess the view of the church tells me I'm in the west. Who presents themselves better to the world in this view? The government or the church? I was cooking in the kitchen on Sunday and  I saw folks in my front door. I usually wave people away or ignore them. I intuited what later played out exactly. The church folks who occupy my back neighbor came by with a Xmas gift. When I opened the door the good Samaritans looked a little startled. The transfer of the gift and the words used to facilitate it seemed rushed and un-rehearsed. Take your time and plan it next time. But I still said my Merry Xmas. You know who loved this gift? Me? No, yo! My students who ate the 50 cookies in that gift box from the Korean Catholic Church in my backyard. Connect the dots. The Catholics are better neighbors than the city government.





No comments:

Post a Comment