Sunday, December 15, 2019

War Memorial Site in the Appalachians

Theres a great park and hiking trail in the North Carolina and Tennessee Appalachian region that has a war memorial setting. I left my friend and his daughter to their fishing and speed walked to the site. I knew they wouldnt stay long and I couldnt get separated from them in the mountains with my phone that cant be counted on to work. After traversing trails and creeks and coming upon a clearing I didnt know if I was in the right place. Why would there be a meadow and no trees right where a battle between the Natives and Anglo newcomers was supposed to take place? But there I was in the sunlight among grasses and wildflowers. I noticed the main flowers were red and white and I picked one of each. I imagined them as the white folks and Indians who had shot at each other for control of this territory and I told them it was high time they got along and stuffed them into my pocket. When I got to my car I took out the weeds and placed them on my dash where the remnants remain today.








No comments:

Post a Comment